STEPPING THROUGH MOSCOW

SOVIET PARADISE

среда, сентября 15, 2004

No Glitz, No Glamor, Just Products For Sale

The New Market in Odessa, Ukraine Posted by Hello


I come here most days on my way home from the University. This is the portion of the market/bazaar that has fresh fruits and vegetables. The marketplace is now being rennovated and it will likely not look like this for much longer. Other sections of this bazaar and others are having new stalls constructed and new tiles which look prettier than cement. I hope, however, that they do not Westernize the food as well! The produce here is as real as it gets unless you grow your own. No two tomatoes appear the same, nor two raisins, which is likely due to nature. If I walked down a street where everyone looked identical, I would be a bit put off by that society, and likewise, if I walked into a grocery store where the food had no smell, all the tomatoes looked the same, I would have to ask myself what kind of store it was.

This market has everything from fruits, vegetables, coffee beans, cheese and lightbulbs to lingerie tiles, cement and new flooring. Most of the bazaar is roofless.

Комментариев нет: