STEPPING THROUGH MOSCOW

SOVIET PARADISE

среда, сентября 22, 2004

New on Outside, Same on Inside

St Basil's Cathedral, Moscow Posted by Hello

I first went to Moscow in December, 1999, and of course the first place I went to was Red Square. St Basil's cathedral, pictured here, looked different then. It was worn out and looked historic. I went inside on a cold day and looked around at the icons painted on the walls and was impressed at the degree of freedom I had to simply walk and look while I ducked my head through the doorways inside. This summer I returned and as soon as I walked onto the square I noticed that the cathedral has had serious rennovations done - the paint is new, fresh and vibrant. The square looks and feels different - it looks like history in the making rather than history made. I was not sure whether I was happy or sad - I am only one person and Russia is not mine to mould the way I would like it to be - if many people want a fresh coat of paint and want their city to look different - then so be it - I must be happy that I had the chance to enjoy this same scene when it was old and worn out and now again while it is changing. I wish other countries could adopt so many fresh and positive changes - I wonder if the white house would ever be considered in need of new color?

Комментариев нет: