STEPPING THROUGH MOSCOW

SOVIET PARADISE

среда, сентября 22, 2004

Lenin Says He is Here to Stay

Lenin's Statue on Leninsky Prospect Posted by Hello

In December, 1999, I took my first steps through Moscow. I was living in Petropavlovsk, Northern Kazakhstan, and took a flight from Omsk to the domestic Moscow Airport. After realizing that the taxi drivers wanted 20 USD and not 20 Rubles for a ride into the city (I thought 20 USD was too much and 20 rubles could not have been right - it would be too little) I opted for a bus for 25 rubles. This is where the bus left me - near the Oktyaberskaya Metro on Leninskiy Prospect on a cold, rainy, snowy, December day. This did not matter to me, as I got off the bus, I saw this statue of Lenin (taken this past August, 2004). This was the statue on the square I read about referred to in some books, and now it stood before me - and it was still here - I heard so much about how statues and monuments were removed quickly to rewrite history - why was this statue still here? even more interesting, I saw many people still stop by the statue and look at it. In Canada we have statues of Churchill I think in almost every Provincial capital city and I do not think I have ever seen many people, if any, actually stop and admire it, except for the birds which perch themselves on his shoulders.

Комментариев нет: